They say, “When the well is dry, you know the worth of water.”
Water is vital for the life of every living being, including humans, plants and animals around us. The blue planet Earth consists of 70% water, but this constitutes of only 3% of freshwater as the rest of 97% of water is salty. World population is increasing rapidly, so requirement and consumption of natural resources are also increasing exceptionally. Freshwater resources are also one of those resources whose requirement is elevating; hence water is becoming scarce day by day, which is definitely an alarming situation. Water scarcity levels are not only rising globally, but also locally. According to UN statistics, almost 1.2 billion people in world don’t have access to clean drinking water. If we observe water scarcity statistics of Pakistan, then we will find that it is estimated that Pakistan will face 31% water storage by 2025 and it is the third most water-stressed country of world. Specifically, if we consider Quetta which is ninth largest city of Pakistan, then it is something really alarming that water scarcity in this city has become very prominent from past few years.
Many residents of Quetta city rely on purchasing water tankers to fulfill their requirements. The underground water of Quetta is decreasing rapidly and if this condition continued further, so the Quetta will become a totally water deficient city. The major reason of water scarcity in Quetta is the increase in population which became even more concerning after the migration of Afghan refugees to Quetta and also the increase in the suburb population around this city, and associated poor resource utilization and management at all levels.
As every lock has a key as well; suggests that some steps can be taken in order to solve water scarcity problem to save citizens of Quetta from completely water-stressed city. This issue can be resolved on government as well as on individual level. Dams and water storage systems should be made and wastewater treating systems should be in working state for irrigation. For this purpose, government should allocate sufficient amount of budget for the build-up of water storage and treating systems. Along with these measures every individual should take this matter seriously on individual level and should try to reduce wasting water in daily routine. Our beloved Prophet (PBUH) also advised us to stop ourselves from wasting water even if we are on a bank of flowing river. Therefore, each of us should try to use water very carefully because saving water means saving life.
Written by: Laraib Ehtasham